Wednesday, October 3, 2012

How to Grow Green Onions on Your Kitchen Window Sill

About a year ago, I was given a wonderful tip about green onions... and I've been hooked ever since! 

Tonight I cooked a beautiful meal for my family. The recipe didn't call for green onions, but I added them anyway (who doesn't LOVE green onions?!) Because, you see, I needed to use my green onions. They've been growing on my window sill for the past few days, un-snipped neglected, and were TALLER then I've EVER seen them!
Darn it, I should've measured them before I snipped them... but I would say they were at least 18" tall! I bought these a few weeks ago and have snipped them down to almost the roots twice. They just keep growing and growing!
To grow your own green onions on your kitchen window sill, take a mason jar or vase and fill with 2-3" of water. Keep your green onions in the jar, but be SURE to change the water at least every other day, removing any dead or gunky bits from the green onions and roots. They will get gross if left alone for several days. If maintained, they will last a LONG time! Keep growing, keep snipping, using in your food, replacing themselves over and over! 

I replace the bunch every other month or so with a brand new bunch from the grocery store. They look pretty on my window sill and save us a little bit of money (hey ever dollar counts right?) ;)

Here is my green onion harvest for the day (about 1/4 cup). I could've harvested twice as much but didn't need to because I was using sweet onions as well, and didn't want to overdo it with the onions. :)
Green onions back on the window sill after being harvested, water changed, and dead/gunky stuff removed:
Happy, happy, happy! And ready to grow tall again! :) :) :)

So if you didn't know, now you do! Green onions FTW!

No comments:

Post a Comment