Friday, January 25, 2013

Roasted Veggies AKA Candy

These roasted veggies are a staple at every family gathering that involves food, but I also like to make them as a side dish on week nights because they are SO easy to prepare, healthy, and ABSOLUTELY addicting. They caramelize in the oven... and taste like CANDY!!!
Roasted Veggies AKA Candy

The best part about these roasted veggies is that you can use whatever you have in your produce drawer (garlic, onions, mushrooms, any kind of squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, etc.) The list could go on forever! You can use any kind of vinegar (balsamic, red wine, apple cider, etc.) or another acid like lemon juice. You can play with different spices and herbs to create unique flavor combinations. Nuts are great additions. Slivered almonds are my personal favorite for added nuttiness and crunch. It's also super delicious with some kind of fruit added in, like grapes or diced apples. Have fun with it! I try different combinations every time I make these!

Recipe:

2 cups sliced or diced veggies (for this blog post I used eggplant, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes)
1 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice (I used red wine vinegar for this post)
1 tbsp. olive oil
Coarse ground salt and pepper
2 tsp. garlic or onion powder (this time I used onion powder but you can use either one or both)
1 tsp. Italian herbs or paprika (I used paprika this time -- but a combination of cinnamon and allspice is DELICIOUS if you're roasting any kind of squash or sweet potato)
Ingredients for Roasted Veggies AKA Candy

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss veggies with oil, acid, and spices to combine.
Raw veggies after tossing with oil, vinegar, and spices

Cover (foil works well if you don't have a covered baking dish) and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
I used my Pampered Chef Round Covered Baker

I can eat a whole baking dish of these by myself! Enjoy!
Veggies after Roasting
Roasted veggies are a great side dish. I served mine with *Lighter* Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo


No comments:

Post a Comment